Re: Cross compiling .mo files for another platform ?

On Mon, 2007-04-16 at 18:45 +0530, rush ta wrote:
> hello....
> Ok i got the application compiled for ARM architecture !!
> I copied the APPLICATION_NAME.mo file
> to /usr/local/share/locale/hi_IN/LC_MESSAGES/
> when i run the application i get following error.
>
> Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C library
>
> Gtk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C library
> Using the fallback 'C' locale....
>

> Clearly it is not find the language installed ...
> How do i resolve the issue ??
>
> I do have gettext binary in /usr/bin but none of the other
> gettext-tools ....
> Do i need any other files ?

The message "locale not supported by C library" refers to the "locale"
mechanism, and not gettext. You need to fix something else here.

Run the command "locale -a". This will show you the available "locales"
that have been configured on your ARM system.
I believe you do not have "hi_IN" in this list, hence the error message.

Generating a locale is quite easy. If you have Ubuntu on your desktop,
have a look at the script /usr/sbin/locale-gen. This script
automatically creates the necessary locales for your system depending on
which languages you added support through the graphical interface. If
you read the script, you can find the exact commands.
For reference, the source of the Hindi locale is at
/usr/share/i18n/locales/hi_IN

For something more digestable, see section 3.5 at
http://www.linux.com/howtos/Unicode-HOWTO-3.shtml
or
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Create_an_UTF-8_enabled_system

Hope it helps,