Re: atypical compose key

On 9/29/06, Andriy Gapon <avg icyb net ua> wrote:
on 28/09/2006 19:15 Andriy Gapon said the following:
> on 28/09/2006 19:00 Etsushi Kato said the following:
>> I forgot to mention that using XIM (without any XIM server, i.e.
>> setting XMODIFIER= im=none) may work for your situation
>> (GTK_IM_MODULE=xim).
>
> I've actually googled up this advice but it did not work for me: when I
> type <Compose><C><=> I get "=" instead of expected EuroSign and also
> when I switch (through XKB) to Ukrainian or Russian keyboard layout and
> type some text I get some funny pairs of characters, something vaguely
> looking like what I was getting when I viewed Unicode/UTF-8 text as a
> single byte text.

[this message is intentionally in UTF-8]

Hmm. I actually have to correct myself on XMODIFIER= im=none and
GTK_IM_MODULE=xim — it works!

Fine :)

but not entirely :-(

Hmm...

I was getting "=" instead of euro sign because of some problem with
~/.XCompose, once I moved it out of the way compose sequence started to
work as expected, but there seems to be some problem with encoding. Not
sure if that problem is somewhere in X or GTK, but I suspect the latter.

What is the enconding of your ~/.XCompose?  It should be UTF-8 if it
is used in uk_UA.UTF-8 environment.  If its encoding is uk_UA.KOI8-U,
you can get funny characters.

When I start gedit like follows:
env GTK_IM_MODULE=xim gedit
[XMODIFIER/XMODIFIERS setting does not make any difference]

and type my favorite <Compose><C><=> I get the following 3-symbol garbage:
Б┌╛
[U+0411 CYRILLIC CAPITAL LETTER BE][U+250C BOX DRAWINGS LIGHT DOWN AND
RIGHT][U+255B BOX DRAWINGS UP SINGLE AND LEFT DOUBLE]

instead of expected € [U+20AC EURO SIGN].

Again, I am doing this in UTF-8 locale (I tried my native uk_UA.UTF-8
and en_US.UTF-8). Looks like some double-recoding ?

--
Etsushi Kato
ek kato gmail com