Re: improvement of font selection

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006, Petr Tomasek wrote:

> But not everyone is capable of creating his own fonts.conf!

As this is a developer list, we are not talking about users
creating this file directly.

> >From my experience, the problem is that many time a font
> is choosen for particular unicode block, that covers only
> part of it, even if you have installed font, that covers
> it totally (or almost).
>
> So IMHO the right way for font selection would be (unless
> specified otherway in the fonts.conf of course) to try to select
> the font (for particular unicode block) that covers this block
> best.

In fact, I prefer the other way around.  If there are two fonts A
and B, A supports the entire Arabic block, B supports only the
glyphs needed for rendering Persian, I prefer B for Persian for
obvious reasons.

> P.T.

--behdad
http://behdad.org/