Re: improvement of font selection

In article <Pine LNX 4 58 0603280217470 21196 epoch cs>, Behdad Esfahbod <behdad cs toronto edu> writes:
> I didn't test this one, try something like this:

>  <selectfont>
>   <rejectfont>
>    <pattern>
>    </pattern>
>   </rejectfont>
>  </selectfont>

> wrapped in the <match> and test for the language.  Not sure if it
> works.  If it doesn't, you may want to raise it on the fontconfig
> list and we'll make it work there.

Thank you.  That worked.

>> but I think it's a big pain to list up all such fonts
>> for many languages.

> Well, yes, it's a big pain when people stuff (crappy) glyphs for
> lots of different scripts in a font.

I still think that the source of the pain is in
inappropriate font selection mechanism.  It is a renderer's
responsibility to choose a proper font as far as it is going
to do some automatic font selection.

The fonts provide sufficient information; i.e. which glyphs
are available, which OpenType tables are available, which
features for which scripts are available.  As far as that
information is correct, how can we blame them?

Kenichi Handa
handa m17n org