Re: improvement of font selection

In article <Pine LNX 4 58 0603280217470 21196 epoch cs>, Behdad Esfahbod <behdad cs toronto edu> writes:
> I didn't test this one, try something like this:

>  <selectfont>
>   <rejectfont>
>    <pattern>
>    </pattern>
>   </rejectfont>
>  </selectfont>

> wrapped in the <match> and test for the language.  Not sure if it
> works.  If it doesn't, you may want to raise it on the fontconfig
> list and we'll make it work there.

Thank you.  That worked.

>> but I think it's a big pain to list up all such fonts
>> for many languages.

> Well, yes, it's a big pain when people stuff (crappy) glyphs for
> lots of different scripts in a font.

I still think that the source of the pain is in
inappropriate font selection mechanism.  It is a renderer's
responsibility to choose a proper font as far as it is going
to do some automatic font selection.

The fonts provide sufficient information; i.e. which glyphs
are available, which OpenType tables are available, which
features for which scripts are available.  As far as that
information is correct, how can we blame them?

---
Kenichi Handa
handa m17n org