Re: [gtk-i18n-list] Unicode PUA supporting issue in gtk+/pango

On Thu, Dec 22, 2005 at 12:44:53AM +0900, mpsuzuki hiroshima-u ac jp wrote:
> >By mapping U+E78D and U+FE10 to the same glyph?
With this mapping, fonts work identically on systems using unicode 4.1
or pre-4.1.  That is, they provide backward compatibility.
> Ah, do you propose to use cmap table as reverse-map:
> from glyphID to codepoint? Or do you propose simple
> comparison between glyphID for U+E78D and U+FE10?
>
> If you propose the second... when we are asked to
> display U+E78D and search for "better" codepoint,
> how do we know U+FE10 is candidate?
This is another and big problem, not related to fonts.  You can imagine,
after a system switches to unicode 4.1, you will hear complaints such as
"I can see the characters (in a document or of a filename).  But when I
search, it just don't match!"

IMHO, we can have a script to convert all filenames, at the post-install
time on package upgrade.  As for the documents, users should manually
convert them, if he/she needs searchability.

olv