Re: [gtk-i18n-list] Unicode PUA supporting issue in gtk+/pango

On Tuesday 20 December 2005 15:40, mpsuzuki hiroshima-u ac jp wrote:
> Now I have a question. Today, we have Unicode-4.1.0.
> The character at PUA codepoint U+E78D is same with U+FF10?
> They are different? Now U+E78D should be dealt as unmapped?
> or should be kept for backwards compatibility?
> The decision should be done by font selection only?

They are the same characters. Ergo this issue should be handled by the
font. For example, in the font the character moves to its final
position in Unicode (U+FE10), but the former (unofficial) position
(U+E78D) contains a reference to U+FE10. This way, if someone has a
document which uses U+E78D instead of the new codepoint, the user can
still display the correct glyph. Means: keep it for backward
compatibility, but provide a software tool to the user to convert his
old documents so that the old PUA codepoints get replaced with the new
official codepoints.

Cheers
Arne
--