Re: Surrounding info from GtkIMContext with selection

On Thu, 2004-10-21 at 22:31 +0700, Theppitak Karoonboonyanan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have got a question while working with Thai IM through the GtkIMContext
> API:
>
> What should be the "cursor_index" in reply to the "retrieve-surrounding"
> signal when the some text portion is selected?
>
> My opinion is that returning the actual cursor position, regardless of
> being the start or end of selection, is not appropriate. Rather, the
> text widget should determine the start and end of selection and choose
> one to return.
>
> Since the selection is to be replaced by next committed text from IM,
> it can be treated as a "wide" cursor. Whether returning the start or
> end position is more useful depends on which part of info the IM is
> interested.
>
> For Thai IM, where significant info is to the left of cursor, the start
> of selection is more useful. But some other IM's may care more for the
> other side, making selection end more useful. (Is there any such IM?)
>
> What should be decided for this?

Do we need to extend the interface to allow retrieving
the actual selected range? I tend to agree that returning, say, the
logical start of the selection is better than returning the actual
cursor position, but I don't know if that is sufficient to get all
desired behaviors.

In general, the fact that the selection in GtkTextView is
anchor => cursor should never be revealed to the user. See bug
153205 for a related problem.