Re: Thai fonts small compared to regular characters

On Sat, Jul 24, 2004 at 11:15:33PM -0400, Edward H. Trager wrote:
> Hi, Theppitak,
>
> While I understand your explanation, the "Loma" font still seems much
> larger compared to Norasi and Garuda font families.

Yeah, you're right. Loma is a pioneer font to proof the concept, as
explained in another mail. However, it was unsafe to do the same to
other fonts, where typographical design couldn't be compromised.
(Glyphs for upper/lower marks can't be reduced to minimize the clipping
effect, for example.)

However, it's worth making a survey again about the situation of this
risk. Is it safe to ignore the ascender/descender border lines?
If so, we may scale up the fonts and defend for its supports in all
applications.

> If I am not mistaken, Loma is also a NECTEC freely-distributable font, is
> that correct?  What license exactly is NECTEC using to release these
> fonts?

It's GPL.

> Also, it would be nice if there was a single, standard, stable URL where
> people worldwide could download the NECTEC fonts.  I could not find them
> anywhere on the NECTEC site.  Finally I found most of the Garuda/Norasi/Loma
> fonts on OpenTLE.org (at the URL mentioned in my previous posting to this
> list), but I don't know if that is really a permanent URL. ( I know at least
> one very large Linux distributor obtains the Thai fonts by pulling them out
> of the RPM of one of the Thai Linux distributions).

There's one repository that collects all available free Thai fonts, as
well as develops new ones. Please try this site:
  http://linux.thai.net/plone/TLWG/thaifonts_scalable/
The project has close communication with NECTEC developers as well.
So, it's supposed to be the most updated one.

-Thep.
--
Theppitak Karoonboonyanan
http://linux.thai.net/~thep/