Re: pango + zwj

On Tue, 2004-08-31 at 01:03, Saravanan wrote:

> According to Unicode rules, for forming the Malayalam
> Chillaksharams(soft consonants) one must press
> corresponding consonant+ Virama(0d4d)& ZWJ(200D).
>
> But, Yet it is not clear to me that whether pango handles
> ZWJ in the Indic fonts. Whether actually ZWJ is also taken
> care in pango. I have Unicode font which, in windows,
> renders Mal. Chillaksharams(Pure consonants) when the
> corresponding Consonat, virama, ZWJ is entered. But in
> Linux(RH9.0) it is not working. They are displayed
> separately.  I think the ZWJ is not handled in pango for
> indic fonts. What should be done, inorder to take the ZWJ
> also in to consideration for forming the the required
> combinations.

Hi Saravanan,

We have a similar situation but managed to get some of the
Sinhala character rendering in Pango.  The patch is not yet
commited.  But here is the overview.

- Unlike some other indic languages, joining of a consonent
  + virama + consonent combination is optional in Sinhala.
  So, if one wants to join them, there should be an
  explicity ZWJ.

  Consonent + Virama + Consonent produces two glyphs

  Consonent + Virama + ZWJ + Consonent produces the joined glyph

  We haven't tested this much as it is optional, but if I am
  not mistaken, it works.

- To be consistent, post half-form of Ra and Ya are also
  marked with ZWJ.

  Consonent + Virama + Ra = two glyphs
  Consonent + Virama + ZWJ + Ra = one glyph

  Same story for Ya.  Ra works this way, but for Ya, Pango
  always produced a single glyph.  We are looking into the
  details of the problem now.

	Anuradha

--

http://www.linux.lk/~anuradha/

This message, including any attachments, contains confidential information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is intended for the addressee only.  Any unauthorized disclosure, use, dissemination, copying, or distribution of this message or any of its attachments or the information contained in this e-mail, or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete this message.