Re: More than Combining characters

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003, Theppitak Karoonboonyanan wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 10, 2003 at 11:21:26AM +0900, Jungshik Shin wrote:
> >
> > characters to a sequence of regular and PUA Unicode characters where
> > PUA codepoints(U+F700) are used for 'presentation forms'. To use this
> > block. In the long run, those fonts had better be converted to opentype
> > fonts if not already.
>
> It's in our plan. We're studying how pfaedit could do the job.
> Err.. Since we're just beginning, any suggestion would be appreciated.

  It might be a heresy on this list  to suggest that VOLT [1](a free opentype
font editing tool from MS) for Windows be used, but I found it pretty convenient to use
when I added a very long list of GSUB lookups to a Korean truetype font [2] with
all necessary glyphs already present. VOLT alone wouldn't have done the job, though.
I generated the input file to import from VOLT with a Perl script.

  BTW, if you happen to have PS type1 fonts for Thai with necessary glyphs, you
may also try a batch tool in Adobe's FDK (?).

  In case of Thai, you may not see as big an advantage  because significantly fewer
glyphs are involved and pfaedit's OT support has since been improved quite much.

 Jungshik

[1] http://www.microsoft.com/typography/ : you have to join the VOLT community to
    download it
[2] http://www.i18nl10n.com/fonts/UnBatangOdal.ttf