Re: Combining characters

On Fri, 2003-09-05 at 11:51, Anuradha Ratnaweera wrote:
> Let me put this in a simple point form using a hypothetical example:
>
> - I have a font (non-unicode) X, which has non latin characters in the
> range of 32 to 127.
> - The same character set is defined in Unicode 3/4 from say 4000.
> - Unicode characters 4001 and 4010 form a single composite character
> which is the same as character 51 in the font X
> - There is no Unicode equivalent to the 4001+4010 combination
>
> Now, if I want to render the composite character 4001+4010, how should
> I proceed?  Is there a way to map unicode sequences to actual
> (physical) fonts.  Prefarably in the form:
>
> 4001,4010 -> X,51

Not really sure what you are asking - maybe you can be less
hypothetical?

A shaper module's whole purpose in life is to map Unicode character
sequences to pairs of glyphs from particular fonts.

If you have a font, however, that has a incorrect character map
that assigns ligature glyphs to random ASCII characters, you
will have great difficulty getting that to work within the
framework of the fontconfig-based backends for Pango.