Pango: how to call the API?

Greetings Pangoneers,

Sorry for the follow up question from below, but I want to call the Pango
API and get the char width of a given font.

How do I do this?  Can I call Pango from the command-line to get this
information out, cause that would be great ?  Or do I need to write some C
code (scary) ?

I have read through the site and the docs, so I guess I'm slow -- but any
help anyone can offer is **hugely** appreciated.

Thanks heaps,

Z.