Re: Installing OpenType fonts

Stefan Baums <baums u washington edu> writes:

> Dear list,
>
> regarding my question of 3 January (as yet unanswered) about how to
> install a Latin-diacritic OpenType font for use by Pango.  Am I right
> in thinking that this would require writing a specific "language" (=
> "writing system"?)  module for "Latin Script"?  Has this already been
> done by somebody?  How does one write such modules?  How does one then
> install the font?

If you have such a font, then you would (with pango-1.2 and fontconfig)
simply copy it into ~/.fonts or /usr/share/fonts.

Writing the module is done by looking at an existing modules
and figuring out how it works... there aren't really any docs
currently, but half a dozen people have managed to write modules,
so it's apparently possible to figure out. :-)

Actually, you probably wouldn't want to write an entirely new
module, but rather modify the basic-xft module to have support
for OpenType tables.

(Unless the handling for Latin scripts was inappropriate for
other "Basic" scripts like Greek/Cyrillic/Han, which I doubt.)