Re: Installing OpenType fonts

Hi Stefan,

So far as I know, nobody has done this yet.

At first glance this seems like a pretty easy problem, if you already have a mechanism in place to deal with ligature formation and mark positioning. After looking into implementing it, I found out that it's more complicated than it seems.

A complete implementation should be able to handle arbitrary accents, in arbitrary order, on arbitrary base glyphs. For example a + under-dot + umlaut, a + umlaut + under-dot, a-umlaut + under-dot, and a-under-dot + umlaut should all be handled, and all rendered the same way.

To do this, you either need a huge GSUB and / or GPOS table in the font, or you need to normalize the text before GSUB / GPOS processing. i.e. all of the above might be normalized to a-umlaut + under-dot. For this example if you normalize, you only need one rule in the font instead of four.

There has been a discussion on the OpenType list about this, but so far, we can't agree on what to do. Some of the complication comes from the fact that it seems like different normalizations work best for different scripts. In fact, for Hebrew the Unicode normalization algorithm puts the accents in an order which is completely unnatural for Hebrew speakers...

At some point, I'll put Latin processing into the ICU LayoutEngine and port that support into Pango. The soonest that's likely to happen is around the end of this year.

Regards,
Eric Mader
IBM GCoC - San José
5600 Cottle Rd.  M/S 50-2/B11