Font Problems

Hello,

When I use testtext to look at HELLO.utf8, I see several strange things:

* it seems to use differnt fonts for letters in the same word. For example the Greek text "Pan" in "Pango, displays with a small pi a large alpha, and a small nu. Also, the small text seems to be set on a baseline which is lower than the large text. (selection seems to match the large text) I see similar things in the Chinese examples - sometimes it will mix traditional and simplified fonts within the same word.

* Arabic text doesn't seem to be contextually forming. I'm trying to debug this, but don't have any information yet, other than it does seem to call arabic-xft.c to process the Arabic text. (Also, while debuggin this, it looks like arabic-xft.c is getting called for *each word* in the Arabic text. I guess that it's finding the space character in another font. This is probably a performance hit...) I'm seeing some error messages about invalid GPOS and GSUB tables, so that may be some of the problem... did we perhaps loose some of the bullet-proofing when things got updated to ft2?

* Some Indic text seems to have some of the marks in the wrong position. Owen reported this bug to me a while ago - I haven't had a chance to look into this at all yet.

One other possibly odd thing: I first got the latest Pango running on my RH 7.3 machine at home, and I don't remember seeing all of these problems then. I'll double-check this when I get home tonight and see if I just missed something.

Does anybody know anything about any of these problems?

Regards,
Eric Mader