Re: Font Problems

At 02:17 PM 8/20/2002, I wrote:
* Arabic text doesn't seem to be contextually forming. I'm trying to debug this, but don't have any information yet, other than it does seem to call arabic-xft.c to process the Arabic text. (Also, while debuggin this, it looks like arabic-xft.c is getting called for *each word* in the Arabic text. I guess that it's finding the space character in another font. This is probably a performance hit...) I'm seeing some error messages about invalid GPOS and GSUB tables, so that may be some of the problem... did we perhaps loose some of the bullet-proofing when things got updated to ft2?

I tracked down the message about invalid GSUB/GPOS tables. It was comming from a beta version of Raavi, the Windows XP Gurmukhi font. This font has an empty LangSys for the Devanagari script. I patched Load_ScriptList in xftopen.c to just ignore the bad script rather than causing the whole font to be ignored. Should I submit this patch to CVS?

(The production version of Raavi doesn't have this problem, but it's still probably worth making any other scripts in the font work, even if one of them is bad...)

Regards,
Eric