Re: About GTK2 and i18n (Chinese)

ha shao <hashao hashao hypermart net> writes:

> On Mon, Apr 29, 2002 at 11:58:42PM -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:
> >
> > Xuedong Zhang <zxd auda bu edu> writes:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >   When using GTK2 , I found that I cann't use chinput (Chinese XIM) to input
> > > the chinese.
> >
> > It's possible that if chinput only supports over-the-spot, and
> > not the on-the-spot or root-window styles, then it might not
> > work properly with GTK+-2.
> >
> > What behavior do you observe?
> >

> When start the example in the examples/text/ directory, I too cannot
> call Chinput out. The example uses the GtkText widget which of course
> is deprecated. Since gtk_init now calls gtk_set_locale by default, I
> don't see anything special have to be done in order to make GtkText
> XIM awared.
>
> Chinput does support root-window style.
>
> No problem with TextView+TextBuffer and Entry widget.

Then everything is working as expected. GtkText is not just "deprecated"
it is marked as "broken"... it's only there to help people keep things
compiling while they are porting their app, but there is no expectation
that it works correctly.

In the case of input methods, we removed the old gdk_im_* support
that GtkText was using, but it wasn't worth porting it to the new
GtkImContext support, so it doesn't have any input method support
at all.