Non-BDF Devanagari Support in Pango

Hi Robert, Owen,

Should Pango be able to support all necessary various kinds of fonts
even the ultimate goal font is OpenType ?

]
] This is something that needs discussion. In an ideal world we'd just
] use OpenType's Indic support. Short of that we could
]
]   * add support for arbritrary X properties to TTFs, make the X TTF
]     backend understand this.

Can we have this done before Pango 1.0 out (by when ?) ?

]
]   * recognise the font automatically (based on encoding?) and then pass a
]     hardcoded PANGO_LIGATURE_HACK in...

This approach will require "Pango devanagari engine" to keep all those
various hardcoded PANGO_LIGATURE_HACK, right ?

Will this approach require any change in TTFs ?

Will this approach be taking less time than the above one ?
May be, it will be done before Pango 1.0 out. Right ?

Chookij V.

]
] --
] Robert Brady