Re: Pango RPMS question was Re: Pango status, arabic support

On Tue, Jun 13, 2000 at 02:48:18AM +0000, Hassan Aurag wrote:
>  I got the rpms installed and launched the testgtk to look at some
> arabic text displayed and maybe use testtext to write some arabic
> text.
>  However, the only fonts I got installed for arabic are the ones that
> come with Axmedit from the great Langbox International folks.
>  And it seems those don't work since I can see hebrew text but no
> arabic text. Hebrew fonts come with stock RedHat, but no arabic fonts.

The arabic engine uses the following font encodings:

The fonts coming with the Arabic editor from LangBox are in *-iso8859-6.8x,
so you should be able to use them (look with xlsfonts that they are indeed
instaled; and have the proper encoding name).

Otherwise, you can install some TTF that have the proper glyphs, and use
X-TT (included in standard with Linux-Mandrake; or you can get it from; xfsft should work too, but I don't remember if the
encoding files for mulearabic are included in standard or not.

Then you must create a fonts.dir file with the proper lines (I can send
you the ttmkfdir program I use if you want), restart the font server,
and see the fonts:

chanae:~$ xlsfonts | grep mulearabic-2
-monotype-courier new-bold-r-normal--0-0-0-0-m-0-mulearabic-2
-monotype-courier new-medium-r-normal--0-0-0-0-m-0-mulearabic-2
-monotype-times new roman-bold-r-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-mulearabic-2
-monotype-times new roman-medium-r-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-mulearabic-2
-monotype-times new roman-medium-r-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-mulearabic-2

> Can someone give a pointer to fonts preferably in rpm format that I
> can install so as to use pango for some arabic testing?

Ki a vos vye bn,
Pablo Saratxaga		PGP Key available, key ID: 0x8F0E4975