Re: Pango status, arabic support

Kaixo!

On Mon, Jun 12, 2000 at 11:25:13PM +0000, Hassan Aurag wrote:

> > It was asked on this list if it is possible to write arabic
> > "under gnome". If one is willing to compile gtk+ with pango-support,
> > it will work.
> > I have not gotten any feed-back of the sort
> >   "the shaper produces something strange in situation X",
> > so I might assume it is more-than-less ok :)
>
>  Ok, I am ready for testing, but not for compiling. Does one really
> need to recompile gtk+?
>  Is it possible to get one big fat statically linked tar.gz of pango?

You can try to get the pre-compiled snapshots from http://www.gnome.org/;
they are in rpm format compiled for Linux/i386. Note however that, as often
with projects in heavy development, some things can improve or broke from
one version to the other; and you may in some cases want to experiment with
the latest sources from CVS (in gtk-pango branch of gtk+ module)

I have, however, one question: which encoding should be used for the po files?
There is some people voluntering to translate the po file of Gtk+ to Arabic;
should it be done in utf-8 or iso-8859-6 ?
And what about existing po files, must they be converted to utf-8 before
release of gtk+ 1.4 ?

Thank you.

--
Ki ça vos våye bén,