Re: What is the license of generated files?

On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 12:54:13PM -0500, Jeff Johnston wrote:
> I personally like the exception method ala Autotools but would be
> fine with the GFDL 1.3 license which has already been cleared with
> Eclipse.org.

I hope that whatever license is chosen it is meant to be be dual with
GNU GPL under which they are implicitly licensed now.  GNU FDL is a
peculiar license, incompatible with GNU GPL(!) and in some variants
verging on non-free, whether cleared by eclipse.org or not.  If the
files were GNU FDL license I am afraid many would nave to look for
replacements under a different license.

> Is there any way of contacting the original contributor of the .png
> files to have them licensed?  If not, I would suggest replacing
> them. It should be simple to find such icons with an appropriate
> license.

As someone who likes the current images and their current license I
wonder what is the best way to keep them used when the documentation of
my projects is compiled.

Yeti