Re: What is the license of generated files?

On 12/14/2012 11:19 AM, Stefan Sauer wrote:
On 12/10/2012 05:41 PM, Jeff Johnston wrote:
I wish to use gtk-doc to create a test case for the Eclipse devhelp
plug-in.  I have a simple C test with one function which I generate
devhelp for.  The generation results in a set of files: a css file,
the devhelp file, some .png files (home.png, left.png, right.png),
etc... None have any license information.

Where can I find information regarding the license or lack of license
of the various generated files?  I was unable to find anything in the
gtk-doc manual.  I would prefer they would be unlicensed or under my
control as there are restrictions on what can be stored in the
Eclipse.org repository (e.g. GPL is not allowed).
A good question. While I have been modifying the css file during the
years of my maintainership, I have not touched the png images.
Historically projects have often been shipping the generated files with
tarballs.

This commit added the png files (in 2002):
http://git.gnome.org/browse/gtk-doc/commit/?id=693e30961614e4a05f8d2694c4ad32b0306c650c

I am confident that we can license the css to whatever we want. In this
commit
http://git.gnome.org/browse/gtk-doc/commit/?id=07971801371971f69b03c190d91aab4e5177e5c5
it was extracted from the xsl file.

What license would work well? Creative Commons? We can probably do
something like autotools:
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=autoconf.git;a=blob;f=COPYING.EXCEPTION
<http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=autoconf.git;a=blob;f=COPYING.EXCEPTION;>
but I am not up to the task to formulate such an exception.

I personally like the exception method ala Autotools but would be fine with the GFDL 1.3 license which has already been cleared with Eclipse.org.

Is there any way of contacting the original contributor of the .png files to have them licensed? If not, I would suggest replacing them. It should be simple to find such icons with an appropriate license.

-- Jeff J.

Stefan