Re: What is the license of generated files?

On 12/10/2012 05:41 PM, Jeff Johnston wrote:
I wish to use gtk-doc to create a test case for the Eclipse devhelp plug-in.  I have a simple C test with one function which I generate devhelp for.  The generation results in a set of files: a css file, the devhelp file, some .png files (home.png, left.png, right.png), etc... None have any license information.

Where can I find information regarding the license or lack of license of the various generated files?  I was unable to find anything in the gtk-doc manual.  I would prefer they would be unlicensed or under my control as there are restrictions on what can be stored in the Eclipse.org repository (e.g. GPL is not allowed).
A good question. While I have been modifying the css file during the years of my maintainership, I have not touched the png images. Historically projects have often been shipping the generated files with tarballs.

This commit added the png files (in 2002):
http://git.gnome.org/browse/gtk-doc/commit/?id=693e30961614e4a05f8d2694c4ad32b0306c650c

I am confident that we can license the css to whatever we want. In this commit
http://git.gnome.org/browse/gtk-doc/commit/?id=07971801371971f69b03c190d91aab4e5177e5c5
it was extracted from the xsl file.

What license would work well? Creative Commons? We can probably do something like autotools:
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=autoconf.git;a=blob;f=COPYING.EXCEPTION
but I am not up to the task to formulate such an exception.

Stefan