Re: GTK_MODULES removal and the future of existing modules

On 26 February 2018 at 13:17, Philipp Emanuel Weidmann
<pew worldwidemann com> wrote:
Thank you for the quick response!

I'm not sure anything short of direct access to the widget tree would
suffice for a GTK4 version of Plotinus to provide the functionality it
does today on GTK3.

Which is kind of why we don't want people to write this kind of
modules any more. ;-)

Accessing the hierarchy from outside of the application is a great way
to lead to crashes. See also why we removed theme engines.

From our perspective, the only way to know about menus and actions
should be through the GAction API, and the mechanisms that we already
have in place to export the menus on the session bus.

Of course, I don't expect LibreOffice to move to GTK4 in the short or
even medium term. The major cross-platform applications like Firefox,
LibreOffice, GIMP, and Inkscape have been very reluctant in their
adoption of even GTK3, and likely don't fancy another bumpy upgrade
anytime soon. Still, eventually they might switch, and it makes sense
to anticipate that.

If LibreOffice and Firefox will ever move to GTK4, we're going to
strongly suggest they expose their menus on the session bus, either
through the GMenu API directly, or by implementing the same DBus API
exposed by GTK.

Ciao,
 Emmanuele.