Re: Contribution question

Dear Sri.

Could you please outline the scope of the project you are talking about? It wasn't clear to me. The biggest problem with GNOME infrastructure in my opinion is a spreading documentation all the way around and luck of examples in API. Think about, if I am professional GNOME developer I need only simple reference API. If I am newcomers, I need more then that. I need examples, clear explanation not for advanced users. The recent observation is GList object. Citation from API page "There is no function to create a GList. NULL is considered to be a valid, empty list so you simply set a GList* to NULL to initialize it." Does it mean that GList object MUST be initialized to NULL. For me it doesn't. Try to use g_list_append() for list object non initiated to NULL. I am not talking how many hours i spent to setup JHBuild, Flatpak (still not sure how to use it for dev), BuildStream. Every single tool I listed has significant limitation. And again, I don't know, is it luck of functionality or documentation. Buildstream was promising but then I realized I can't use my current project to test, say gnome-builder. They are not visible. Anyway, I can continue for a long time. Playing around I built a solid understanding how GNOME tools designed. Basic understanding. I decided to help with Glib because it is fundamental library for GNOME infrastructure and all GNOME development. Actually not just GNOME. I remember, when I just start using GNOME infrastructure, It was hard to collect all documentation in one place. I didn't know what i need. I can see progress since that time. But still some work needs to be done. I can compare to QT project. devhelp can be that good wrap for documentation. The same html can be placed online and It should not be just an API reference. I am open for discussion. Do you have a clear goal/picture for your project?
Sorry for this kind of stream of thoughts. Some parts may not be relevant to this email list. I don't want to create much discussion from this. I am not trying to blame anyone or criticize just giving you my overall impression. World is not perfect, but we should try to make it better.

Best.

-Pavlo Solntsev