Re: Why these settings are deprecated?

On Tue, 26 Dec 2017 20:39:41 -0000, Emmanuele Bassi <ebassi gmail com> wrote:

On 26 December 2017 at 20:06, Tomasz Gąsior <mail tomaszgasior kao pl> wrote:
I would like to ask question directly to main GTK developers. Why these
Xsettings are deprecated?

XSettings are an X11-only concept that does not translate to any other
windowing system platform supported by GDK.

Nevertheless most Unix systems are likely to remain using X11 because too much existing software expects it.

If there is some useful feature that only works on some operating systems and the feature is deprecated & removed for that reason, then we shall all be forced to use only features that work on he lowest common denominator of operating systems (no names, no pack drill, but some of us choose operating systems that lie above any such lowest common denominator for the good reason that they are better operating systems, and we do not like being held back by enforced compliance with "bad" oftware.

You're probably thinking of GtkSettings properties - which can always
be set using the settings.ini file; some of the ones you're referring
to, though, have been deprecated and the handling code removed.

If an equivalent Gtksetting exists, then that is fine.

--
Charles H. Lindsey ---------At my New Home, still doing my own thing----------- Tel: +44 161 488 1845 Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Email: chl clerew man ac uk      Snail: 40 SK8 5BF, U.K.