Re: Moving to glade and GtkInspector

On Wed, 2017-04-12 at 13:28 +0200, Sébastien Wilmet wrote:
Any ideas, or thoughts?

Yes, so we have existing user interfaces and I was really hoping
there'd be a way of using the gtk=inspector to dump out the widget
structure into a machine readable format. Even if it was something
sloppy I could python into glade xml.

Glade is not well maintained, some developers prefer to edit the XML
files directly, which is not really convenient.

At least by writing C/C++ code, you have compilation warnings when
using deprecated functions. Personally I prefer writing code instead
of using GtkBuilder, but that's just my preference. With code it's
easy to write re-usable functions, in XML files it is not possible.

It's possible with things like the python gtkme library. But I do
understand why programmers would want to code.

The problem is that it's easier for a programmer to workaround glade
xml than it is for designers to work around C++ code. More designers,
more ux people, better software for end users. (theoretically)

Best Regards, Martin Owens