Re: G_UTF8String: Boxed Type Proposal

On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 3:30 PM, Randall Sawyer <srandallsawyer hushmail me> wrote:
Frankly, the use of the term "character" when referring to a "UTF-8 encoded Unicode code point" was for me a source of confusion

A character means a "Unicode character".  That's independent of encoding, so, no, it does NOT mean "UTF-8 encoded Unicode code point".

when I leapt to the conclusion of the unmet need of a UTF-8-length-aware wrapped string type - be it called "G_UTF8String" or "GUString".

I recommend that all Glib documentation be rewritten such that throughout all descriptions of g_utf8_*() functions, the parlance "character" be replaced with "UTF-8 code point sequence" or equivalent terminology.

Thank you.