Re: G_UTF8String: Boxed Type Proposal

On Thu, Mar 17, 2016 at 2:26 PM, Jasper St. Pierre
<jstpierre mecheye net> wrote:

I'll also ask what "character" means in this case, even though I know
glib also has the same confusion. Are you talking about the number of
Unicode code points in the string, or the number of grapheme clusters,
as defined by Unicode TR29 [0]? The number of code points isn't useful
for editing in all cases, even after NFC normalization. Some grapheme
clusters just don't have a single code-point representation.

I don't think there is any confusion in glib about this, really.
There is no mention of graphemes in GLib at all, its all just
characters. If you want graphemes, you need pango.