Re: Developing a new text editor widget?

On Sun, Jun 05, 2016 at 03:15:30PM -0400, Rena wrote:
As an application developer, my main gripes with GtkTextView have been:

1. The view/buffer model. I expected that the view just asks the buffer for
text, and I could supply a custom buffer object that generates text on the
fly. In reality it seems I have to use a GtkTextBuffer and fill it with the
text I want to display, and manually respond to cursor movements by
modifying the buffer. It rather defeats the purpose of having a view/buffer
model at all.

The view is not the only user of a buffer. There can be scanners that
scan the buffer, to do various things such as highlighting the syntax.
The buffer/view split permits in theory to have several views for the
same buffer. Lazy loading of the buffer content is something separate.

2. Difficult to compute how much text will actually fit in the view, when
varying character sizes (especially heights) are involved. This relates to
#1, since I'm not putting text into a view, I'm putting it into a buffer
which doesn't know much about how the view is going to render it. This
makes it difficult to know how much text I need to supply. (I can usually
get away with over-estimating and supplying more than enough, but then when
the cursor is moved down at the bottom of the view, it wants to scroll, so
I have to handle that... also I hadn't even thought until now about what
"select all, copy" will do in this case.)

I don't think GtkTextBuffer was meant to be used like that, despite its
name.

3. No way to control the positioning of text and/or movement of the cursor.
When implementing a hex editor widget, I wanted to display data in a format
like "00000000__00_00_00_00__00..." (where _ is a space), but have the
cursor skip over the spaces. I could find no way to achieve this except by
(again) manually handling all cursor movement events, trying to figure out
what the best valid position is for where it's trying to go, and putting it
there. I had hoped I could either tag the spaces to say "have the cursor
skip over this", or add a "margin-right" attribute to the digits like I
would in a web page, so that spaces would be added without using an actual
space character. (Although in the latter case I'd have to have a custom
"copy" handler that renders the text *with* spaces for the clipboard, so
that might not be so good either.)

I think it's possible to implement virtual spaces with a utility class.
It's probably not straightforward, but it should be feasible. I also
need virtual spaces in gCSVedit:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/gcsvedit/

--
Sébastien