Re: Reinstate support for OS X versions older than 10.9

On Tue, 2015-09-22 at 18:58 -0500, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
On Sep 22, 2015, at 6:32 PM, John Ralls wrote:

I’m a bit conflicted about this. Yes, 10.9 is a bit new for a
cutoff, but on the other hand upgrades to 10.10 are free and run on
any machine that can run 10.7

Per the EveryMac URL I posted, in addition to older PowerPC Macs that
cannot be upgraded past 10.4, newer PowerPC Macs that cannot be
upgraded past 10.5, and 32-bit Intel Macs that cannot be upgraded
past 10.6, there are some 64-bit Intel Macs that cannot be upgraded
past 10.7.

Further to that, there are users who do not wish to upgrade their OS,
even if their machine can support it. They may have any number of
reasons for that. For example, 10.6 is the last OS that can run
PowerPC applications on Intel systems; a user may have PowerPC
software they wish to continue using. Or a user may dislike the
significant user interface changes Apple made in 10.7 or 10.10.

There’s always the option of sticking with the last releases of
GLib and Gtk+ if you want to build/run on older machines.

Considering the options we have in the MacPorts package management
system, the possibilities I see are as follows:

- Keep glib2 at version 2.44.1 until all MacPorts users have upgraded
to OS X 10.9 or later. This will not occur for years if ever. We
still have MacPorts users today that use OS X 10.4.

- Upgrade glib2 to version 2.46.0 now, thereby preventing users on OS
X 10.8 and earlier from using all the software in MacPorts that
depends in some way on glib2.

- Add conditional logic to the glib2 port to use 2.46.0 on OS X 10.9
and later and 2.44.1 on OS X 10.8 and earlier. This might be viable.
Some other MacPorts ports for other gnome software is already doing
something like this. But it is more complicated for the port
maintainer (me) and it might break some use cases. For example, it is
possible to build *on* 10.9 *for* 10.8; such an attempt might fail
with 2.46.0.

- Change glib 2.46.0 so that it can be built without GNotification
support on older systems. This is what I'm asking for.

I don't think that making new APIs do nothing, or ABI changing between
OSX versions is a good idea. You might want to work on adding support
for another notification sub-system (I don't think that OSX had one
builtin before 10.9, or without the needed feature), such as Growl.
Then make GNotification choose which one to use at run-time.

Depending on what the code ends up looking like, it might be too much
of a burden for upstream to consider it, but at least you have
something you can maintain inside MacPorts.

Cheers