Re: Stock Items Deprecation

On Fri, 2013-07-19 at 12:56 +0200, Krzysztof Kosiński wrote:
2013/7/18 Emmanuele Bassi <ebassi gmail com>:
support for those features has already been developed and it is going
to be added to GAction before we release GLib 2.38 and GTK 3.10, and
improved in the future so that it matches with the overall spirit and
design of the API. if you want to influence where the API is going,
you can start looking at how to port your code, what you think it's
missing, and file bugs. dropping on irc.gnome.org, in the #gtk+
channel, is also a good idea.

OK, I guess that answers my question.

This was about your comment:
"
GAction has no functionality for accelerators, icons, or automatically
creating widgets. These are very useful in applications which reuse
the same action in more than one place (e.g. in a menu and on a
toolbar). How are we supposed to replace it in new code?
"

I've noticed that there is support now in the GtkBuilder GMenu XML (and
probably therefore in GMenuModel) for:
* accelerators by using, for instance:
  <attribute name='accel'>&lt;control&gt;F></attribute>
* icons by using, for instance:
  <attribute name="icon">/usr/share/my-app/something.png</attribute>

This seems to be (wiki) documentation for them:
https://wiki.gnome.org/HowDoI/GMenu
https://wiki.gnome.org/GApplication/GMenuModel

I don't see a way to specify these for the action in general rather than
just for the particular use of the action in a menu item or tool
button.

And I have not found a way to specify a tooltip for a menu item with
GMenu/GAction/GtkBuilder, as an equivalent for the tooltip parameter to
gtk_action_new():
https://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/unstable/GtkAction.html#gtk-action-new

--
Murray Cumming