Re: Spell checking in GIO

This argument doesn't convince me much. If we want Search in GNOME Shell to be spellchecked, you could always just link to enchant for that. Clutter applications are a bit of an odd case anyways, since Clutter kinda already wants to be GDK 4.0, which only reinforces my argument that this really should be in GDK.

The problem for me is that the only sane way to put this into GIO is to add an extension point and load in the spell checking module at runtime (which pretty much everyone agrees in the thread). The problem with that approach is that one of the reasons cited many moons ago for not having a GPlatform/GDesktop/GLivesBetweenGlibandGtk library is so that we don't have to load a ton of libraries on start.

GDK, on the other hand, already links to the necessary dependencies on Windows and OS X and we'd simply be adding a singular hard dependency on enchant (or reinventing it ourselves), which most distros aren't going to complain about (they already package enchant), most users aren't going to complain about (except the users that hate features; I'm certain we can get some GNOME Haters in on this), and most developers aren't going to complain about (since they're probably already using an Egg'd version of SexySpellEntry or linking their applications to enchant anyways).

It's going to be hard to convince me that this shouldn't live in GDK/GTK+. But I probably don't wear enough merit badges these days to count for much.

(sorry for the resend Christian).