Re: Spell checking in GIO

On 10/07/2013 09:36 PM, A. Walton wrote:
My only question is why GIO and not GDK? This kind of per-platform API would happily reside in GDK and prevent us from adding even more extension points to GIO. There's really nothing I/Oish about this API (despite GIO already being the home for lost GObjects since there's no GDesktop library between Glib and GTK+), and I can't think of any obvious applications that would want spell checking and not want GTK+.

Is there a good reason for spell checking to be this low in the stack?

There are certainly cases such as Clutter applications that need not rely on Gdk.

Additionally, it could be used for something like Search in GNOME Shell. First run the search text through spell check and search the corpus against all possible suggestions to catch things like "friefox".

-- Christian