Re: ATK question

On 11/18/2013 10:29 AM, John Emmas wrote:
Hi guys - is this an appropriate place for posting questions about
ATK?  I tried looking for a specific ATK mailing list but I couldn't
find one.  Please let me know if I'm posting in the wrong place.

There is  not mailing list for ATK. We usually use
gnome-accessibiliy-devel [1] for any question about any of the GNOME
accessibility modules.

Anyway, my question concerns the version numbering strategy for
libatk.  When updating from git this morning I happened to notice that
the version number has increased from 2.10.0 to 2.11.1.  This seems to
be confirmed in the 'NEWS' file (top level directory) as well as in
'configure.ac' - BUT - if I look at the available branches (that I
could switch to if I wanted to) 2.10 and 2.11 seem to be very old
branches.  In fact they're among the earliest.  The most recent branch
number is 3.10 - but even in the 2.X range, Atk is up to version
2.30.  So how can 2.11 be the latest branch??? This seems to be very
different from the version numbering used by most gnome projects.

Version numbering of ATK and the numbers of the branches are not exactly
the same. In fact, if you take a look to the name of the branches, it is
not "atk-3-2" but "gnome-3-2". Those branches are a utility for GNOME as
a whole. So on the branch gnome-3-2 of atk, you will find the atk that
you should use on gnome 3.0.x. AFAIK, ATK is not the only module doing
this. And it has been doing it for a long time, even before I became a
maintainer, so I decided to keep doing the same for historic reasons.
For example, gnome-2-22 branch last release was ATK 1.2.4.

If you are interested on getting the different versions of ATK, you have
git tags [2]

I hope this answer your question

BR