Re: _gtk_quartz_framework_init

On Thu, 2013-05-02 at 08:01 -0700, John Ralls wrote:
On May 2, 2013, at 7:29 AM, Michael Natterer <mitch gimp org> wrote:

On Thu, 2013-05-02 at 15:41 +0200, Benjamin Otte wrote:
Hey,

I recently found this magic call to _gtk_quartz_framework_init() in
the Quartz initialization code and after asking people on IRC it seems
it's no longer used by anyone (was it ever?). So in my pursuit of code
clarity I was wondering if I can just remove it. Can I?

I have never noticed this before, but a "framework" is a programming
API and library packed up as a proper bundle, and known to the compiler
on a higher level than just -L or -I.

The call was added by Richard, and iirc he also did a framework,
haven't heard about that in a while though.

He did a sort-of framework, but it was a bitch to maintain, so I didn't. Besides, it didn't work in that
one couldn't put -framework Gtk on the compile line and get your app to build. Instead you had to pass
horrible fixed-path -I and -L directives, and there is no m4 macro to discover them.

Which kindof voids the whole idea of having a framework in the first
place...

If you want to look at at, it's at https://github.com/jralls/gtk-osx-framework

Benjamin, I have no problem with you deleting those calls.

Yeah I agree, get rid of it. We tell everybody to ship their own GTK+
anyway, and nothing is easier than buliding GTK+ into your prefix along
with your app, just as on every UNIX.

--Mitch