From: gtk-devel-list [gtk-devel-list-bounces gnome org] On Behalf Of tarnyko tarnyko net [tarnyko tarnyko net]
Sent: Thursday, April 11, 2013 6:12 AM
To: gtk-devel-list gnome org
Subject: Re: GTK+3 win32/64 build environment

Thanks folks.

Now, regarding what was said previoulsy in this thread, I will try to list
pros and cons of, respectively, native build and cross-compilation. Points
listed in the end of each list have less importance or accuracy than the
first ones. Then a decision regarding the choice might be made.

Native build
 ------------
+ easier (works around most problems in configure scripts and Makefiles)
+ independant from OS/distro
 - harder integration with GNOME infrastructure
 - slower
 - might need a commercial license of Windows

Cross-compilation
 -----------------
+ better integration with GNOME infrastructure
+ faster
 - needs patches in most configure scripts
 - needs to use standalone versions of Perl/Python OR patch Makefiles to be
compatible with most common versions of Perl/Python (possible ? needs study)
 - needs to build stack twice (Linux native versions of some tools needed).
So the speed gain might be countered (needs study)
 - might not be independant from OS/distro (need to choose a particular
distro/package manager and stick to it ?)

Regardless of what will be decided, I think that I need a Git account to
push the current build scripts to the GNOME infrastructure. Will apply for
it now.

Regards,
Tarnyko