Re: glib(win32) without libffi

於 2012/7/29 下午 09:57, Colin Walters 提到:
On Sun, 2012-07-29 at 15:24 +0200, Hans Breuer wrote:
I didn't say "no"; we're having a discussion. Realistically, so while I personally *do* care about Windows builds, I find cross-building with mingw a much saner approach to making Free Software available for Windows users, though it does obviously hamper our accessibility to Windows developers.
Well, I guess I have to have a say on this, IMHO... Please bear with me for this.

Not to take sides, but I guess Hans did make really valid points especially as a long time contributor to GTK+/GNOME on Windows.

The other big factor that is involved in keeping the Visual C++ build files up to date is due to the debugging features that are provided by Visual Studio, as MinGW's gdb isn't as effective in Windows, AFAIK. It's true you can use the MinGW-produced libraries/DLL in Visual Studio development, but since the layout of debugging info is quite different, it makes it more challenging to debug programs that use such DLLs. For me, I think it is the way to help people get involved in the use and development of the platform, as it isn't an option (or people are unwilling to) for many people to develop using MinGW, especially at their workplaces. For example (not to compare toolkits), the OpenSource edition of QT-4.x initially only supported MinGW officially on Windows, but due to developer demand, they started official support for it on Visual Studio as well since 4.3.2 or so, which brought many positive responses for this move.

Anyways, I still do want to say thank you to all the people that are bringing the GNOME platform forward, as it did come a long way, and especially for Hans
and tml who made the GTK+ stack available and well-usable on Windows.

p.s. For LibFFI, I can't say much about building it with mozilla-build and Visual C++ 6.0, since I don't run it, but it seems from Hans comments that it uses features provided by later Visual C++ versions, such as 2005+, which I have managed to do and outlined in https://live.gnome.org/GTK+/Win32/MSVCCompilationOfGTKStack

With blessings.