Re: Fwd: Plans for GTK+ Bundles for win32 and win64?

In theory, I agree with what you're trying to achieve here. However,
in practice I think there would be better places to direct your energy
- keeping in mind Windows takes up about 2GB of disk space these days,
12MB of DLL's for each of the maybe 10 Gtk apps I have on Windows
While I agree with the status quo, I am trying to look ahead to a much brighter day when whole hordes of commercial developers use GTK because its just *THAT* easy for them to do so :) My intentions are part of my devious master plan to get more and more commercial-grade software available on Linux, and providing a trivial to use (MUCH more so than is currently the case with Qt) environment that's available on both platforms is a big part of making that possible.

As a proof of concept, just look at the kind of stuff Autodesk is producing for Linux, in part (I'm sure) because the barrier to entry to Linux development was significantly lowered by Qt. Being able to have apps like Maya or Softimage on Linux is a massive win. Come the day we can get things like ProTools, Cubase etc and I'll be a happy camper. I fully acknowledge that making the GTK portion shared won't necessarily help that goal, and that making it easy for an application vendor to simply bundle it privately will, which is why I want to make sure that both scenarios are possible.

I don't want to demotivate you here, my point is just that there is a
lot of work to be done to get Gtk+ 3 up to scratch on Windows (writing
an entire theme engine, for example) so we need to be smart about what
we spend time on.
True, but that's not my particular area of expertise, so I am trying to focus my energies where I believe I can make the biggest difference. Right now having an easily-buildable-with-only-native-tools set of sources, that can produce an installable archive that can either install as a shared system component or as a private set of libraries is my top priority. After that I am happy to spend the few free hours I have for working on this stuff in other areas and learning as I go along.

Kean