Re: Alt and Command keys in the quartz backend

On Tue, 2011-09-06 at 14:30 -0700, John Ralls wrote:
> On Sep 6, 2011, at 12:10 PM, Michael Natterer wrote:

> >> It's not really different. Getting rid of the hard-coded association between <alt> in an accelerator map or key binding and GDK_MOD1_MASK is part of Paul's (2). I'd map it to GDK_META_MASK, but I'm open to super, hyper, or a new GDK_ALT_MASK (bit 25, perhaps). It *is* the right thing to do, I think, but it's not a quartz-only change and it probably would not be welcome in gtk+-2.24.
> >
> > It is not the right thing to do. Why do you insist on that,
> > and what is wrong about the "hard-coded" association between
> > ALT and MOD1_MASK? What is the problem about fixing GDK to
> > map Alt to what is globally considered Alt, and then fix
> > the platform-specific things in GTK+ afterwards?
>

> For one thing, the platform-specific stuff belongs in Gdk. That's why there's gdk/broadway, gdk/quartz, gdk/wayland, gdk/win32, and gdk/x11. Yes, there are gtkdnd-quartz, gtkclipboard-quartz, gtkstatusicon-quartz, and (in quartz-integration) gtkselection-quartz. That's an unfortunate side effect of the main implementations being so closely tied to the X11 model that they couldn't be integrated with quartz at the gdk level, and it breaks the multiple-backend feature of Gtk+-3.
>
> For another, key-mapping is done in gdk as the very first step in processing a native key-down/up event (well, OK, the second step, the first being to decide that it's a key-down/up event and to dispatch it to the key-mapping routine). That is, of course, in a virtualized gdk function call. You're proposing to then reinterpret those key-down/up events in gtk? That seems rather complicated.

I have no idea what you are talking about.

> Nothing is wrong with <alt> being mapped to GDK_MOD1_MASK so long as NSCommandKey is also mapped to GDK_MOD1_MASK. Why do you object to that? Is it that the GIMP documenters don't want to write "(Command-foo on Macs)" next to every occurrence of "The accelerator for Bar is Alt-foo"?

Why on earth would you want to map both keys to the same modifier?

Nobody uses "Alt" for accelerators, I don't think we are talking
about the same things here, in GTK+:

- Accelerator is the thing to invoke actions (menu shortcuts)
  -> invoked by Command on the mac, and by Control on != Mac.

- Mnemonic is the thing that invokes the underlined stuff
  -> invoked by Alt on != Mac, doesn't exist on the Mac

Where is the conflict here? We just need to make sure accelerators
are invoked by whatever modifier combination is triggered by Command,
and making it the same as the modifier triggered by Alt doesn't make
any sense.

And just to finally say it, please spare us this aggressive undertone.

--Mitch