Re: Alt and Command keys in the quartz backend

On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 5:30 PM, John Ralls <jralls ceridwen us> wrote:

> Nothing is wrong with <alt> being mapped to GDK_MOD1_MASK so long as NSCommandKey is also mapped to GDK_MOD1_MASK. Why do you object to that? Is it that the GIMP documenters don't want to write "(Command-foo on Macs)" next to every occurrence of "The accelerator for Bar is Alt-foo"?

for several years, i've distributed binaries of Ardour built against a
GTK stack that bound Alt/Option to MOD1 and Command to META. it worked
fine, but that's partly because we have a codebase that attempts to
never use any GDK_modifier_MASK values directly, and because our
documentation is written to be pre-processed into OS X and X11
specific versions.

i recently built versions against the current GTK stack in which the
bindings are different, and this immediately breaks the existing
bindings for all our users. its my responsibility because i patched
the original GTK and i chose to use the current bindings that john put
in place.

the only thing worse than this debate is the possibility of
flip-flopping several more times, thus invalidating the keybindings
our users have in place each time.