Re: Alt and Command keys in the quartz backend

On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 6:46 PM, Michael Natterer <mitch gimp org> wrote:

> Nobody uses "Alt" for accelerators, I don't think we are talking
> about the same things here, in GTK+:

http://viewcvs.ardour.org/index.cgi/ardour2/ardour2/branches/2.0-ongoing/gtk2_ardour/mnemonic-us.bindings.in?revision=9232&view=markup

sorry :) we do *try* to avoid naked <alt><key> modifiers, mostly
because of X11 WM conventions.

> - Accelerator is the thing to invoke actions (menu shortcuts)
>  -> invoked by Command on the mac, and by Control on != Mac.
>
> - Mnemonic is the thing that invokes the underlined stuff
>  -> invoked by Alt on != Mac, doesn't exist on the Mac

in any sane world (or toolkit),

    actions AND items in menus == things invokable by the user via
{keyboard/mouse/touch/other}

its been acknowledged that in the real world, GTK will try to move
towards this. the distinction is arbitrary, more so when you consider
the number of ways of making a given key do <something> in GTK.