Re: GTK + Clutter next step(s)

On Sat, 2011-10-29 at 17:23 +0200, Benjamin Otte wrote:
> So I want to have OpenGL usage in the "possible" realm, but I want to
> keep it away from the "easy" realm, so that  nobody goes "oh, that is
> easy, I'll just write my widget using OpenGL", because that would be
> wrong. You want to use GTK/Clutter mechanisms there.

Ok, thanks for the clarification.

I'm actually really glad that the GTK, Clutter and Cairo developers have
taken an interest in OpenGL recently, as it did seem for a while that
OpenGL was a forgotten and somewhat under-supported technology.

I really hope that the prevelance of OpenGL (ES) on mobile devices helps
keep OpenGL popular, and we don't get overtaken by DirectX only cards on
the desktop.

I moved our EDA CAD tool rendering from GDK API to OpenGL a few years
back, around the time DRI2 was making OpenGL look more feasible on the
desktop. We use only basic OpenGL primitives, but it does tax the GPU
quite a bit on Intel graphics.

(OpenGL compositing had already taken hold by this point, and it seemed
a retrograde step in the DRI1 era to make our application incompatible
with the new and shiny compositing window managers).

TBH, it might be short-sighed, but I can't really see why people would
want to do "normal" widget rendering with OpenGL. Admittedly, we
originally started by using it to accelerate 2D CAD drawing, but now we
have full 3D support.

Best wishes,