Re: GTK + Clutter next step(s)

On Sat, 2011-10-29 at 12:36 +0200, Benjamin Otte wrote:

> Yes, I definitely think that nobody should use OpenGL in the GTK world
> unless he specifically tries to marry OpenGL based things with GTK
> widgetry. I would be very scared of anybody having a glBegin() in
> their widget's draw handler.

The PCB design CAD software I work (in the gEDA suite) on has this
requirement, and currently uses GtkGlExt with GTK 2.0. Migrating to GTK
3.0 is of course not possible at the moment, as GtkGlExt is not ported
to GTK 3.0, and a lot of the underlying concepts (e.g. colourmaps and
visuals) which GL uses have been removed from GDK now.

(I had a brief poke to see what would be required to port GtkGlExt, but
concluded I didn't have time to dig into it. It would seem that a lot of
the removed concepts from GDK would have to be revived in GtkGlExt).

> But I'm running into projects on a weekly basis that have GL
> requirements and have no clue how they can achieve what they want with
> GTK 3.

> And I certainly want to make that possible.

That would be nice.

> I definitely don't want to make it easy.

Oh dear.. I hope that was just an unfortunate turn of phrase, but the
way I read this is "GTK developer(s) think they know better than me, and
want to make my life difficult".

It really sounds like you intend to ensure that it is hard to do what we
need here, and that attitude scares me coming from a developer of my
favourite tool-kit.

I appreciate that CAD and scientific visualisation applications using
OpenGL are a small slice of the use-cases for GTK, but with that
attitude, they will remain small (or shrink). I personally like
programming in C rather than C++, and like GTK over Qt, but with poor
OpenGL support (and by the sounds of it, getting worse), it is hard to
keep justifying that choice.

Peter Clifton <pcjc2 cam ac uk>