Re: Severe treeview performance regression (Gtk2 -> gtk3)

On Thu, 20 Oct 2011, Clemens Eisserer wrote:

Hi Allin,

(a) gtk-2.24.7 and friends (latest stable stack)
(b) gtk-3.2.1  and friends (again, all latest stable)

I can't detect any difference in the scrolling performance in the two cases;
it seems quite acceptable in both. This is on Linux 3.0.7, glibc 2.14, gcc
4.6.1, Core i5 2520M 2.50GHz,
Lenovo Thinkpad with "wheel-type" scrolling via Trackpad.

Thanks for testing :)

I am on Fedora-16 with gtk-3.2.0-1 using the gtk3's default theme I
can easily produce several seconds of "after-scrolling",
however I have a large monitor (1920x1200). gtk2 is gtk2-2.24.6 with
"Mist" theme.
Both results are not good, even with gtk2 I can't just grab the slider
and scroll without stuttering (which works with Java and QT),
however with gtk3 its a lot slower. How much is hard to quantify
without frameworks available to measure.

Your CPU is about ~50% faster than mine - probably that's just enough
to not let scroll-events queue up?

Possibly. Since you mention themes, I should say that with both gtk2 and gtk3 I'm using "no theme", just the plain vanilla out-of-the-box gtk appearance (which looks much better in gtk2). I don't know how relevant this is to scrolling speed.

Allin