Re: GTK+ 3, Win32 and GtkApplication (DBus woes)

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 8:26 PM, Kean Johnston <kean johnston gmail com> wrote:
> On 3/28/2011 1:12 PM, Paul Davis wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 5:35 AM, Kean Johnston<kean johnston gmail com>
>>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> GtkApplication is a rather new piece of the GTK API. There has been
>> quite a bit of discussion about its role and its impact on cross
>> platform portability.
>
> I'll try read more of the mailing list archive. I have a vested interest in
> Gtk+ 3 on Win32 and MacOS, so if ever any help is needed or wanted testing
> any changes, I am very happy to help.
>
>> The answer for now is that if you want cross platform portability,
>> simply don't use GtkApplication. It didn't exist several months ago,
>> and there are plenty of excellent apps written with GTK that don't use
>> it.
>
> In one particular case, namely using the current "beta" of Glade, I was able
> to get it to at least start working by extracting a previous version of
> main.c from git. Fortunately, the change the author made to use
> GtkApplication was in a single commit so it was easy to unwind.

Yes I'm sorry about that. I innocently assumed it would be properly
portable as everything in GTK+ is portable, and there was no
proper notation that the application object was not available
on win32 or osx (like say, GtkUnixPrint widgets).

Anyway, I'll be backing out that commit from Glade.

Cheers,
          -Tristan