Re: GtkApplication and argc/arv

On Thu, 2011-03-10 at 18:41 +0000, Chris Vine wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 16:47:59 +0100
> Murray Cumming <murrayc murrayc com> wrote:
> > If it's most programs then surely you can give some example. I don't
> > think that most applications have to deal with caching, bookmarks, and
> > history like Firefox.
>
> I didn't realise you wanted examples, but most programs that have a
> shared resource would fall into this category. For example, my mail
> reader (claws), and most other mail readers for that matter apart from
> yours, evolution, which I think is server/database based, are single
> instance programs (as it happens I have seen complaints that, for any
> one user, evolution should be single instance). The messaging
> applications I am running, empathy and pidgin, are single instance
> programs. (Skype is an example of a poorly designed one which does
> start another instance but then complains about it and interferes with
> itself: it would have done better to get it right by itself.)
[snip]

Yes, these are applications that should be single instance because
that's what is obviously best for the user and it's about useless extra
windows showing the same thing rather than about any user awareness of
processes.

But for applications that actually have some reason to have multiple
windows (typically document-based applications) I still know of no
reason why we would want to suggest that they should have all windows in
one process.

--
murrayc murrayc com
www.murrayc.com