Re: GtkApplication and argc/arv

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 9:56 PM, Andrew Cowie
<andrew operationaldynamics com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-03-08 at 12:06 +0100, Murray Cumming wrote:
>> I would very much like some reasoning to point people at when I tell
>> them to use GtkApplication. I will not just hand-wave and say that
>> people say it's good.
>
> GtkApplication is the GNOME 3.0 replacement for LibUnique, right? If so,
> then fine; the developer can choose whether the single instance pattern
> is appropriate for their application as before.

this is part of the problem here. GtkApplication was originally
floated as something a bit different than "just" what libunique did.
it increasingly feels as if it has morphed into nothing but a
repalcement for it. this may or may not be true, but that's certainly
the impression that discussions about it are creating.

from my own perspective, i wanted GtkApplication to be something that
would ease the task of integrating my app into "the desktop", whether
that desktop was a freedesktop implementation or quartz (or windows).
the functionality offered by libunique was (and is) of no interest to
me at all.