Re: [g-a-devel] Coming to grips with the state of a11y in gtk

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 11:13 PM, Matthias Clasen <matthias clasen gmail com> wrote:
On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 10:03 AM, Piñeiro <apinheiro igalia com> wrote:

> Although move the gail implementation to gtk has his advantages, why
> this would be better that just fix them directly on gail? One of the
> big problems here is the lack of resources, so doing the move would
> add a extra work that could be used to just fix the problems.

The move ends one of the biggest source of problems with the a11y
implementations as they are now: they are separate objects living
outside of gtk and have to duplicate lots of widget state by listening
for signals and poking at the widgets from the outside. That is both
terribly inefficient, and prone to reentry problems. Just look at how
often gailtreeview iterates over the entire model, e.g....

I agree with moving gail code into gtk. I remember there are several serious and old gail bugs that we found can not be fixed without accessing the private area of gtk.  And I am sure the moving will give gail many opportunities to improve its performance. I would like to be involved in the project.

Li