Re: Glib resource framework

On 21/12/11 02:47 PM, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> I think this could be very useful in many places, for instance to ship built-in
> css files, gtk builder files, win32 theme images etc in a way that still makes libraries
> relocatable (and avoids potential for runtime errors due to not found files).

Maybe we could actually support "bundles" like it is done on MacOS.
The idea of compiling data into a binary file give me a blast from the
past from the MacOS 9 days.

On the other hand having a bundle (a directory) that contains all the
file the application needs, including the DSOs would be convenient.

That could have the following hierarchy

MyApp.app/Content/
	elf-x86_64/MyApp
	resources/
		icon.png
		icon2.png
		schema.gsettings
		dialog.ui
		dialog2.ui
		fr_FR/
			strings.mo
	lib/
		libgtk-4.0.so
		libglib-3.0.so
		libfoo.so

Then MyApp.app is the self contained application.
It can contain shared libraries, etc.

But this might need to be specified ouside of glib's scope but with API
in glib/gio to allow it easy use.

And yes this looks a lot like what FoundationKit on MacOS offers.

Hub